Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Advertising Emotion

Advertising guru David Ogilvy once said "Ninety nine percent of advertising doesn't sell much of anything" My version of Ogilvy's quote is "Ninety nine percent of advertising doesn't sell much of the product."  What ads often sell are the emotions attached to the product (or brand). Most ads that I see today and really like, are not necessarily selling something I really like or even know about for that matter.  What I usually like about the ad is the emotion that it brings out in me. Here are two such examples: 


This Diesel ad, as well as most of the other ads in Diesel's "Be Stupid" campaign, plays with the emotion of fear. The whole idea behind the campaign is to encourage creative, brilliant, but also risky behavior or ideas.  Most people have, to some degree, a fear of being rejected or called stupid for being "different." This ad reminds us of that fear and eliminates it by saying, "With our brand you CAN be creative, different and yes, even stupid - and we won't judge you!"  I find myself liking  diesel jeans without ever owning a pair.




Each ad in Goldstrike's "Don't Mess with the Legend" Campaign, evokes the emotion of awe and excitement. With clever imagery, these ads give glimpses of the adventures and wild stories that have happened to people who drink Goldstrike. It promises that you too could be part of those legends, but gives somewhat of an ambiguously exciting warning.  I know all of this without ever tasting a drop of Goldstrike in my life. 





No comments:

Post a Comment